View previous topicGo downView next topic
Head of Site Design
View user profile

Midnight Blue: A Midnighters Roleplay (IC)

on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:21 pm
@Ayla wrote:In the town of Brisbane, Time stops at Midnight for only a few, giving them an extra hour and added dangers. Dark, cunning creatures who feed on fear and flesh, desirous of nothing more than to kill those who call themselves Midnighters and take the Daylight for themselves and have all humanity as their feast...

“Ah!” Aslynne cried out as she kicked a rather brave Slither in it’s tiny face. “Not today, you’re not getting my prized goat again!” Armed with an aluminum baseball bat she’d named, Biodegradable Anticlimactic Backscratcher she began swinging at the writhing mass of snake like minor Darklings called Slithers. The metal sparking when it connected for a moment lighting up the always murky blue of the Secret Hour as if it were Daylight. The landscape of many blues and blacks regaining color and vibrancy for brief moments blinding both Aslynne and the Slithers in the process.  Making the Slithers hiss and recoil from her aggressive swings. “I.” swing. “Do not.” swing. “Buy.” swing. “A new fucking goat.” swing swing. “Every damn month.” swing. “Just to feed you little shits!” As if she wielded a sword she stabbed a Slither who’d latched onto her boot covered ankle with it’s strange web like tongue. It erupted in sparks that turned to flames and then quickly dissolved into steaming black goo on the pavement in front of her livestock barn.

That would be difficult to explain in the morning.

Looking down at her boot she could finally feel the chill that seeped in through the leather and into her sock. She was lucky. If the Slither had attached to a thinner material or worse bare skin she would’ve been left with a nasty bruise. The burning chill could be debilitating if the Slither remained attached.  

With a puff of a sigh she wiped the sweat from her brow and grinned wickedly as the Slithers turned back towards the Reservation. Where they belonged. Eventually, they blended with the deep shadows of the Blue Time and she finally could feel relief. Her goat was safe. For now. In the meantime she picked up her heavy coil of thin steel cord and began to nail it to the bottom of the barn doors. Twenty-six nails in each door. Slithers might be brazen but, even they would risk their hide to squeeze under the clean steel to get the livestock within. With that completed she nudged the door open to reveal the infamous Mr. William Cosgrave. Brisbane’s resident club owner and mob boss nailing more wire to the bottom of the pens where the frozen gazes of goats, sheep and lambs stared blankly in mild disinterest where William no doubt had been standing when the Secret Hour took effect. Most would have cringed to see his face anywhere on their property but, she’d known him for most of her life. He was no more intimidating to her than any other man.

“Here.” Aslynne said throwing the coil of steel down between his knees and her feet. “This should be clean. I just bought it this morning. How much longer do you think you can keep doing this?” She used a gloved hand to shove at his shoulder playfully. “You’re getting to be an old man now, you’re up past your bedtime.” Her full lips turned up in a sly grin, one that only he ever saw. “No longer the reckless twenty-something that carried me all the way home.”

The memory of that night was still as clear as the day it happened. She’d been five and had nearly ran the five miles into the middle of town in the still cold air of the Secret Hour. Flakes of snow had frozen in mid air soaking through her dog covered pj’s and rolling off her boots and jacket. Her hands and tiny little ears left vulnerable, her long blonde hair had been a tangled mess from sleep. Her nose red and cheeks rosy until she finally stumbled across William. Cold and alone and scared she’d made the mistake of reaching for his hand with her own bared icy one.

Needless to say she’d caused them both a world of hurt that night. But, if there was anyone she could trust it was him.

“By my watch, the hour’s already half up.” Aslynne had pushed up the white sleeve of her blouse tinged blue in the Secret Hour like everything else. Her hair had been braided at one point but, now it was ragged and loose from Slithers striking out to grab at it trying to pull her down to their level. “And, I think I scared them all off for now.”

View user profile

Re: Midnight Blue: A Midnighters Roleplay (IC)

on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:22 pm
@Sk0m wrote:William prepared at the hour approached.  He went through the normal 'business deals' sitting at his favorite table in his club Serendipitous.  Trades, money laundering, favors from the locals...all came to him as he tried his best to better himself and Brisbane.  Of course he was always looking for ways to help the Midnighters during the hour.  He often sought out precious metals and searched for lore beyond what the locality had.  His subordinates didn't quite understand their direction sometimes but they didn't have to.  William was spread far across the moral spectrum.  William headed to Aslynne's farm for this hour...and it seemed the activity had spiked here yet again tonight...

"Old?  Who the hell are you calling old?  I can still keep up with the best of them missy."  William rolled his eyes at the smartass he saved over a decade ago.  The unlikely team had survived countless of the hours together.  William didn't lead a life that usually would bring him to the sort of place Aslynne lived in.  He was here for her though.  He didn't have many friends at all.  She was the one friend he considered 'pure'.  He hadn't met her through any means that were nefarious or immoral.  She wasn't part of crime or any underground illegal network...or a thug.  She was just who she was and had no attachment to the world he was used to.  He could trust her.  He couldn't say that of but one other person which was his long-time personal assistant.  

"Well you are crazy enough to scare most creatures away.  I don't know why they keep bothering you as many as you traumatize."  He nailed down the coil and more with any sort of variation of multiples of thirteen he could manage.  William may not have been part of the Midnighters lives that much during the day but at night and during the hour he was there to help when needed.    

William heard a rustle nearby.  He sharp senses caught the noise then he could see something creeping around them.  Suddenly he pushed Aslynne aside and the Slither darted right at him.  William drew his knife from the sheath in his leather jacket, the 13 teeth rigid along the blade that he called 'Disentangling Familiarities' and cut the slither and it fizzled and gooed on the ground.  "Aggressive tonight."  He said as he hated dirtying the well crafted weapons.  He looked at it able to tell how dirty it was with his sight.  It still had some effectiveness left to do some damage.  He did like this feeling of being in a primal atmosphere for the hour.  It was just the Midnighters the Darklings and Slithers.  

William finished up the pin they were working on and stood up.  "Anything else why we have some breathing room?"

View user profile

on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:22 pm
@Descendants of Blood Well wrote:High up on my perch, a thirteen story building that took a ladder of thirteen rungs to reach. I viewed from four of the thirteen points that watched over the old world High School that I taught at. A recliner chair sat at the center. Many called this building the Admissions Building, but I aptly changed it to Aristocracies Possibilities. One of which was always the gentle lingering of walking right off the ledge and prompting a swift end to an otherwise miserable life. Honestly...I could not think of any true reason to stay in this world.

I stood now...walking slowly along the edge as one foot hovered over the ledge. My balance...not the greatest...especially as I held a nearly empty flask of what I believed to be whiskey...I thought. However, I could not keep track at this point of all those difficult life choices that started my day to reach this point. This hour of night was a terrible one... and rightly so. I hated anything to do with references to the grave mistakes of my past.

The ground looked closer now...or it was further. The haze in my eyes did not help. Swiftly, I fell back against the chair as I shouted out into the nothingness of bleak, bewitched night.

In my eyes were empty tears that I quickly wiped from the bit of stubble on my face. The pomade of salt and peppered hair was falling off and this suit looked to have seen better days. There were distant sounds of things that did not belong in this world...I believed that I was one of those creatures. Things could have been so different if it were not for me.

Pressing a heavy hand against the chair, I sat there with a tungsten spear-carrying a thirteen-inch handle that connected to a thirteen-inch rod with a thirteen-inch head. There were thirteen symmetrical grooves over the spear head. Originally named Overburdening Sentimentally Resentfulness...it was renamed to just Worthlessness.

I sat on my perch quietly...waiting for this night to end.

View user profile

on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:23 pm
There was something about taking in the sights. Something that simply made one lose track of time. Even for someone as old as John Marchioni, especially a gentleman such as himself, with his unique tastes in life. With a man of investment and great success in it, such as himself, it was a wonder to many of the town folk as to why he chose Brisbane of all places. To most, Brisbane was just some small boring and unimportant town with assumabley nothing special to seek out. But of course, it could only be considered such by a small handful of people. There was something so rare and so unique that these few could see.

To John, even in his age, he found it beautiful to look at. Sat atop of his truck, just in the outskirts of town, across the road from the junkyard, he looked off into the distance and out into the open fields opposite the junkyards view. It was a blanket of white and a galaxy of white above it. It was indeed a rare sight and well worth the trip out to simply stare at. A toothy grin etched itself across his face just visible through his white beard. Marchioli was not the type to get involved with the others who too possessed the capacity to enjoy this rare sight. This was not to say he would refuse, but enjoyed remaining uninvolved the war games held in the shadows of the blue time.

Imagine that, a secret war from his kind and to all those who oppose their way of life. A war he was designed to be in, his very existence definitively revolving around this specific thing. Yet, instead he sought nothing to do with it. Why should he, he didn’t really have much reason. The happiness he obtained during the day was far more important to him.

On his way here, he had lost track of time. He was caught in the middle of driving on the way up these parts when everything around him seemed to jolt to a stop. It was never a pleasant feeling going roughly about twenty some odd miles an hour down the road and then suddenly being jerked forward to a sudden halt. He rubbed his bruised forehead in remembrance of that very experience. John luckily was surprisingly resilient for his age. Bu he was not immortal.

For some time, he had laid on the hood of his new looking truck. It shined blue with the reflection of the miniature white galaxy that covered the sky above. The hood still felt warm from being driven, yet oddly, it still felt rather cold at its core. Likely it was in the passing of time during this hour.

He remained like that for some time until he heard the clattering of metal behind him. Quickly, he sat up erect and alert to the sounds. But what he saw next would come to a surprise to anyone.

As he observed silently, slithers, small little shadow like creatures native to this hour seemed to gather upon the junkyard. For what reason, it was not obvious. What he was certain of, however, was the periodic illumination of sparks igniting from within the confines. He did not dare enter the junkyard. For the sheer numbers that was within the space sounded dangerously in the dozens. The sounds they gave off were horrid to listen to, but did not easily travel in the frozen air that was infested with white flakes. It was what you would imagine the sound of a cat crying out in pain after you ran it over. John could just imagine that very scene now; fur, blood, suffering. His eyes squinted more and more as the sounds repeated for some time. In doing this, the crow’s feet in his eyes grew more prominent as he ruffled his beard with his free right hand, cringing from the sound.

It lasted for what felt like an eternity. It made him realize that time must’ve past on a great deal by now. Given his circumstance, it was probably a good idea that he repositioned himself to where he was before, before that time came. He had already spent the better half of this hour just watching the horizon and then this, the hour was nearly up.
Carefully, he motioned himself, taking care not to alert the slithers that were just across the road. Opening the door of his truck, he paused to look back across the street. It seemed even the slithers knew that their time was nearly up as well. Their sounds grew silent and the light that one flickered from within became no more. Entering the truck, John positioned himself and buckled up, staring down the empty road. He pulled out a pocket watch to see how much time he had left. This pocket watch was unique in many ways. Particularly, it was that of a quarts watch. Additionally, it possessed additional hands on its face, one specifically that measured the passage of this special hour. Only a few minutes had remained.

View user profile

on Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:41 pm
Aslynne smirked and dusted off her hands. “Yeah, I am pretty badass with a bat. But, they’ve been getting more and more rambunctious lately.” The blue light of the Secret Hour’s moon caught on her ice blue eyes and made them flash indigo for a brief moment, with her pale cheeks flush and her hair a mess she no doubt looked as wild as those slithers out there in the dark. “There’s nothing that I can think of, do you want to come in for a late dinner? I have a plate for you in the oven still warm as thanks for the help tonight.” The corners of her full mouth curled up in a wickedly devious grin. “It’s your favorite and... I have your favorite whiskey a vintage of it actually.”

Asylnne froze for a moment and shuddered as normal time raced across the landscape allowing her power to slip for the briefest moment and the few minds out this far from the center of Brisbane came crashing into hers. Almost blotting out the mingled taste of Midnighter and Darkling out in the street until that too seemed to pass. For now she paid it no mind and held out a gloved hand for Will to take.

“Come on, old man. Come eat.” She said affectionately.

~~~~

It was the cry of anguish that had initially caught her attention. She’d been weightlessly bounding across Brisbane’s skyline when she’d heard it. Years of training in both the Daylight and Midnight made it easy for Elena to swing herself to the nearest building and use her feet to push off in its direction. It could have been anyone of the Midnighters left in the town but, she had a feeling of just who it might be. Only her fellow professor had a nest of his own so high up. Granted, the older man probably had no idea she had even found the recliner up on top of the Admissions building three or four weeks ago. Not even she wandered the campus in the Blue Time. A graceful flip had her feet pointing in the direction she desired to land and pushed her trajectory downward, holding her arms straight out and pulling one foot up slowed her descent until she was barely drifting down onto the roof behind Professor Crest.

Though a Midnighter like herself she’d never really interacted with him much beyond maybe seeing him once or twice in the common break room or when passing his office she of course always gave a bright and friendly smile and wave, even if he didn’t notice or acknowledge her. Just as the tips of her toes on her right foot brushed the roof Midnight shuddered and time once again began to move.

The weightlessness of her ability left her and gravity hit her like a truck making her tennis shoed feet stumble and a heavy breathless grunt left her mouth as her hands reached out towards Dale’s chair for balance, his and her combined weight would no doubt make it dip sharply and if the man wasn’t prepared he could startle. Her head low over his and she smiled to defuse some of the tension. Her chin length auburn waves loose to fall into her warm forest brown eyes and her cheeks flushed with chagrin as she opened her mouth to speak, “Evening Professor Crest, I hope I’m not disturbing you?”

The scent of her leather jacket wafted in the air it’s brown fading to grey in spots of wear mixed with her light vanilla and lavender perfume. Her khaki pants were wrinkled and cut at the knees, purposely so she’d have more movement, underneath she wore thick black tights to give some protection to the bare skin. Flying Slithers could be such a pain at times. An all black long sleeve thermal kept her warm and matched her light fall gloves that kept her fingers warm. “I just heard your cry and I thought... well, I thought you might be in trouble but, that’s silly I guess. You’re one of the best Flame Bringers in North America unless there was an army of Darkings you would never be in trouble...” Her mouth opened and closed and her cheeks flushed even deeper as she realized she was getting into a rant as she sometimes did when flustered.

Straightening up she rocked back on her heels and said, “Looks like it’s the long way down for us. If Midnight only lasted another few minutes I could’ve offered you a lift down.” She smiled brightly at him again, putting her hands behind her back. “But... that will have to be some other night I suppose...”
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum